A Day in the Life…

In Uncategorized by Madison MayberryLeave a Comment

A few days ago, Tanja put together a blog post about what her daily routine looks like. I’m always so fascinated by posts showing how everyone goes about their day-to-day, and I thought it might be high time to share a look into how things go down in our house.

 {Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. And most of the time, Joey and I take time to have breakfast together.}

A typical weekday goes a little something like this…

5:00 am – Our alarm clock goes off. We push snooze and sleep for another 15 to 30 minutes

5:30 – 6:15 am – Get up. Joey takes a shower while I turn on the news and make breakfast. Sometimes I’m feeling ambitious and make something fantastic, while other times Joey’s on his own and has cereal and yogurt. We always have coffee.

6:15 – 7 am – We watch the news, talk about what our days look like, catch up on e-mails, I put together blog posts and catch up on any bills that need to be paid.

7 – 8 am – I get ready for work, do a load of laundry if necessary, and pack our lunches. Joey lets Nutmeg out to go to the bathroom at get a little exercise.

8 – 9 am – I make the commute into work. Joey is typically already to his office at around 7:30.

{My desk and office space. I like to think it’s organized chaos.}

9 am – 12 pm – Work begins! I typically spend the first hour catching up on e-mails, reading food blogs and food newsletters and making a to-do list for the rest of the day. Then it’s  time to get down to work between running to meetings.

{A less than glamourous lunch: Greek yogurt, cinnamon, canned pumpkin, peanut butter and some frosted shredded wheat. Not fancy, but it gets the job done.}

12 – 1 pm – Most days I eat lunch at my desk while browsing through a food magazine or two, but sometimes the lunch hour is a time to run errands. Since Joe and I don’t live in Des Moines anymore, I take advantage of the noon hour to run to grab groceries at Trader Joe’s, make a trip to the bank, or go to the chiropractor.

1 – 5 pm – Back to work! More meetings, layouts to edit, copy to proof and recipes that need to be created. On more exciting days, I’ll have a taste panel (or two) to go to and see how the recipes I’ve created come together. Sometimes they need to be tested again, while other times they are good to go.

5 – 6 pm – Commute home. I use this time at night to call my parents and/or friends, listen to talk radio and decompress so I don’t think or talk much about work when I get home. The separation of work and home life keeps me sane.

6 – 6:30 pm – Joey and I talk about our days, get ready for the gym and I prep anything that needs to be prepped for dinner.

6:30 – 7:30 pm – Gym time! Sometimes Joe and I do our cardio together, other times we do our own thing, but we almost always lift weights together. It’s usually a 50/50 breakdown of cardio to weight lifting time.

{A view from the kitchen looking into the living room. And yes, we still have our Christmas decorations up. But not to worry, they are coming down this weekend!}

7:30 – 8:15 pm – I get to work making dinner. Joey lets Nutmeg out again. When it’s nice out we take her for a walk at night, but when it’s cold and snowy like today, we all prefer to keep outdoor time to a minimum. We eat dinner and Joey cleans up/puts away the dishes while I take a shower or relax in the tub with a magazine. Pure bliss.

{This was actually taken on a Sunday when we were watching the Packers play, but it’s the only TV watching photo I had. You get the idea…}

8:15 – 9:30 pm – Joey and I regularly watch many shows, but we do try to catch Project Runway, Biggest Loser and Top Chef. Now that we have a DVR we can worry less about missing shows, and just catch up with them on the weekends when we have more down time.

9:30 pm – I have the bed time of a five-year-old child, so I’m ready to hit the hay at around 9:30. Joey will sometimes stay up a bit later, but we are both asleep by 10 or 10:30 at the latest.

Happy Tuesday!